
AAAAH! Okay, tears and more tears later, I did some online research. My biggest fear was that it was alopecia areata defined as an autoimmune disease that causes the body to form antibodies against some hair follicles.
Alopecia Areata 101
Alopecia Areata causes sudden smooth, circular patches of hair loss. The inflammation involved in AA focuses on the roots of hair follicles deep in the skin. As a result there is very little visible at the skin surface. There is no redness and often no pain, although a few people do find their skin itchy or painful to touch in the very early stages of AA development. Usually, though, there is no sensation -- just a patchy shedding of hair.
The hair loss can be quite sudden, developing in a matter of a few days and it may happen anywhere on the scalp. The patch is usually smooth bald skin with nothing obvious to see beyond the absence of hair. Unlike other autoimmune diseases, the target of the inflammatory response in AA, the hair follicles, are not completely destroyed and can re-grow if the inflammation subsides. There are no known cures and in many cases the hair grows back on its own.
The course of the disease varies from person to person. People with just one or two patches of AA often have a full and spontaneous recovery within two years whether or not they receive treatment. However, about 30% of individuals find the condition persists and becomes more extensive, or they have repeated cycles of hair loss and re-growth. Unfortunately, people with more extensive, long-term AA find the treatments currently available do not work well. For these individuals the only practical answer is a wig and lots of emotional support. For some the disease progresses to alopecia totalis (loss of all scalp hair and possibly eyebrows and eyelashes) and rarely alopecia universalis (loss of all scalp and body hair).
Alopecia areata is not contagious. It is an autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system attacks itself, in this case, the hair follicles. The cause is not known. A person' genetic makeup combined with other factors triggers AA. Nearly 2 in every 100 people will develop AA during their lifetime.
My Status
I saw a doctor a couple of days after discovery. He seems optimistic that my hair loss is due to a fungus. Oh, joy! Most decriptions of fungus-inducing hair loss include scaling, redness, bumpiness, and sometimes oozing. My scalp looks completely healthy, but the doctor says sometimes there are no visible symptoms besides the hair loss. I am treating my hair with an antifungal shampoo. We will reevaluate in about 3-4 weeks. If there has been a worsening or no real improvement, we will biospy the scalp to test for alopecia areata, among other things I guess. The above picture was taken yesterday. If you look closely, you'll see a very small patch of regrowth in the upper left corner. The mystery of where I picked up this possible fungus remains. He doesn't seem to think it will be very contagious to others--no need to burn my hair brushes and linens. I'm still considering that however. I take what precautions I can, mainly frequent handwashing.
Emotionally, I'm doing much better than I was the day of discovery. I was a basket case that day and had to stay home from church. But now I am optimistic that this will be a one-time occurence and will resolve itself relatively soon. I am just glad that I am not experiencing anything life-threatening or debilitating or even painful. The rest of my hair mostly covers the patch although my scalp still peeks through when my hair swings from side to side or even more so when I let my hair go curly. I'm considering buying a hat, although I've never liked how I looked in hats.
Hopefully, all this fungus talk has not grossed you out. I find that it is better for me to be upfront about what I'm experiencing rather than stressing too much about whether others will notice. It is very likely that before long I will have a nice fuzzy patch of hair hiding my bright white scalp and this will be the end of my hair loss. But in the event that things do not improve or worsen, I will be more prepared to deal with it and you won't mistake me for someone undergoing chemotherapy. Here's to remembering the little blessings of life--like hair!
























7 comments:
How absolutely out of the blue and crazy!!! I'm sorry that you had that happen! Hopefully it is just a one time weird little thing and everything will be wonderful once again. You have great, beautiful hair. It would be sad to lose that...
You know, I know one lady and one man that their body doesn't produce any hair. Never knew what it was called, but now I do! :) Of course the lady is a lot more self conscience and I never knew she had it til I spent the night at her house and she came out to get a drink of water in the middle of the night without her wig on!
And honestly, think of the upsides if it is - no more shaving legs or armpits. No more plucking eyebrows. No more "bad hair days". No more bad haircuts / colors - if you decide that you don't want to be a brunette, all you have to do is go to a store and find another one you think you might like and just try it on! :) You can do your hair and see the back without a compact or another mirror. The possibilities are endless! :)
:) Best of luck - I will pray that you will be comforted and that the outcome will be a good one. :)
I hope that this problem will be resolved in the next few weeks. Sorry!
FUN-gus, FUN-gus!
Oh Julie, How upsetting that was for you. I know how beautiful your hair is. Keep positive. And I dare anyone to laugh. I'll slay them with one look from the evil eye.
Despite the early panic, you have handled this amazingly. I'm blown away by the fact that you posted this. Maybe you're finally accepting that everyone that knows you also knows you're amazing--whether you're full-haired, bald, make up or not, etc., etc. That having been said--I love your hair, so go, hair, grow!!
What a shock it must have been! I'm so sorry, but so impressed by your up-front attitude. Pablo is right that we all love you--no matter the stage or age.
I am so sorry this has happened to you. I think I would freak out and cry to. I hope it gets better and all of your hair grows back in. You do have great hair.
Post a Comment