Nov 20, 2007

Crash into Me



Well it finally happened. After all these years of living and driving in deer-packed areas, and a few close brushes, we unavoidably collided with a deer. Pablo and I were headed towards Oakley for a work party when two deer suddenly darted from the left directly in front of us. Paul hit the brakes and swerved right but there was a definite impact. We ended up off the right side of the road--no shoulder, we simply dropped off the side into a deep ditch. Luckily we were able to drive away and back into Heber.

We couldn't bring ourselves to go directly home, so we ate dinner at Breadstix here in Heber City. We were both a little shaken and left with the image of flying deer going past the driver's side windows. We may have hit the second deer a more glancing blow but can't be sure. When Paul drove to work on Monday, he spotted the accident site, complete with tire marks and blood. No carcasses though!

9 comments:

Janan said...

freaky, jules. I know where your deer is! in my freezer!

Paul Flack said...

Actually I did see a little deer carcass off to the right-I assume someone/thing dragged it over there. Poor Bambi!

Jamie! said...

Eeks! I'm glad you guys are okay! My friend hit a deer once, and her car rolled a few times! Scary!

Tracy said...

That is scary, Joe and I had a close call once and we were shaken up too. I am glad you are okay.

Anne Marie said...

That is really scary! I'm so glad you're okay.

Elena said...

Holy Cow! I mean, Holy Deer! I'm glad you guys are okay. BTW, I need your address to send you a X-mas Card.

Elena said...

here's my email that you can send me your address to. Thanks!

grams said...

I'm glad you are ok and didn't go down a deep ravine. Sorry you missed the party, also. Hope you didn't have any damage to the underside of your car that shows up later. I've always heard that you should not swerve but hit the deer for the reason that you might roll or hit a tree, etc. But it's just reflexes that guide the situation and you don't have time to think, "Oh, I'll just hit it."

Anonymous said...

can you email me your address? at j_zimmerman@cox.net

thanks.