May 5, 2009

My All-Time Favorite Reads



Emily asked what my all-time favorite books were. After thinking about it one night at work, I came up with the following list. Keep in mind that this list is most likely incomplete and may change. I have read most of these books more than once and several of them many times but still it has been quite a few years since I have read many of them. I included those books that made some kind of impact on me, whether as a teen or more recently.

In no particular order:

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin
Harry Potter and the . . . series by J.K. Rowling
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Persuasion by Jane Austen
really anything by Jane Austen
Enchantment by Orson Scott Card
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Call of the Wild by Jack London
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (Warning: Language)
A Separate Peace by John Knowles
Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Patterson
Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Green
The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King
Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley
The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper
Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
The King's Dragon and Prince of Dogs by Kate Elliott

What books have you read on this list? What are your favorites?

8 comments:

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sister Teusch said...

I am proud that it would now be easier for me to list the ones I haven't read instead of the ones I have. But I can't say anything about those I haven't read (except that I would like to) so here are the ones I have:

Earthsea, Harry Potter, and Witch of Blackbird Pond, all because you gave them to me (Thank you!) Well, I think you gave me Earthsea. The other ones I know for sure.
The Twilight series is a given.
I recently discovered a love for Jane Austen and have read Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Persuasion in the last 2 weeks. I love it.
To Kill a Mockingbird
Wuthering Heights was recommended to me by Bella and although it was horrible, I liked it a lot.
Les Miserables would have been better if I had swallowed my pride and skipped the boring parts.
A Separate Peace... I wonder if I would have understood it better if my English teacher hadn't been so shallow and hadn't picked the whole thing apart using small words and a fine-toothed comb.
Summer of my German Soldier I remember reading, but not much else.

The rest I plan on reading - finishing a list is a good way to read instead of randomly wandering the library until something jumps at you.

thanks for sharing!

Emily said...

Love the list Julie. I just ordered Beekeeper's and Graceling... looking forward to those reads. I love recommends from fellow readers and this list looks like a really good one. I haven't heard of a lot of these books so here's to a summer full of new finds. BTW, I was thinking with summer coming it would be fun to plan a little girls getaway for a night or two, lounging by the pool with a good book and good company sounds like heaven right now. Maybe with enough notice we can actually fit it into everyone's schedules:)

Anne Marie said...

Thanks for sharing your list! I love many of these books and will be interested in checking out some of the others. Goose Girl is probably one of my very favorites.

Anne Marie said...

Oh, and I highly recommend Cameron Dokey's fairy tale books. My favorites were probably Golden and the Storyteller's Daughter.

Paul Flack said...

I was gratified to see that some of the books were ones that I introduced you to. Ah... I actually influence you in some positive ways, too!

~ One Girl ~ said...

I love your list Julie! I'm currently in the middle of The Count of Monte Cristo. Excellent book, only 700 more pages to go! I haven't read Anne of Green Gables but I saw the PBS version. It was soooo great. Have you been watching the Masterpiece Theater series? It's been Dickens Classics. So good.
~marci

Jules said...

I love Masterpiece Theater Classics and record and watch them religiously. Did you catch Wuthering Heights a couple of months ago or Tess of the D'urbervilles?