Jun 7, 2009

ABC Reading Challenge Review: I Capture the Castle

I Capture the Castle I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
Cassandra Mortmain lives with her poverty-stricken family in a crumbling castle on which her father has taken a forty-year lease (although it has been several years since he paid the lease.) She narrates the story of crossed loves and growing up as she writes in her journal. The story was hugely entertaining at times and very-well written and crafted. (The author is better known for her children's stories, including 101 Dalmations.)But I was left unsatisfied by the end. None of the characters seems to have much sense or moral fiber. Each loves one who loves another and so most are left sad and lonely and oft settling for second best. If you don't mind tragic endings brought on by people who need to grow up, you may find enough worthwhile storytelling to make the read enjoyable.


View all my reviews.

No comments: