May 29, 2008

Summer is Here! Or is it?

My kids have been out of school for almost a week now. It feels more like spring break than summer though. We've had a couple of warmish days but most days, like today, have been cool and breezy (rain today, too). Our trees have just decided to leaf up and things are finally looking, well, spring-like. The first week home from school is traditionally a free-for-all before we settle into a casual summer schedule/routine. I'll admit I have squeezed a little housework out of the boys despite this. I've really enjoyed being able to sleep in a little later now that the big kids don't leave early for school. Today I got done with papers around 5:30 am and fell back into bed until about 8:45. Ah, the decadence!

Paul put a keyed doorknob on the pantry closet so that I can declare a hiatus on the almost constant snacking that my kids are so famous for. I've got a lock that will keep the littlies out of the fridge but won't stop anyone else. Seems drastic maybe, but that is one of my biggest gripes, especially during long summer days. I wear the key around my neck sometimes. Oh, the power!

I really do live in one of the most beautiful places. Anytime I go anywhere--piano lessons, the library, on a drive with Sam--I enjoy the most gorgeous vistas. And summers here are so great; we have very few truly HOT days and only use our window A/C a couple hours a day for a few weeks of the summer. Here's to cool mountain breezes and being surrounded by stunning peaks. Oh, the life!

8 comments:

Janan said...

One day we'll be your neighbors!

Wendy said...

My parents used to have a locked cupboard when we were growing up too. They also used to hide treats in their closet. Actually, they still do. Maybe that was their real issue. They wanted it for themselves. Ha!

Anne Marie said...

Hope you have a great summer! So glad you get to sleep a little longer. You deserve it. Don't know how you do that paper route. Hey, are you trying to rub it in that us Texans have had 90 plus degree days for a while now? Ha! I'd gladly trade weather with you guys right now, but definitely not in January.

Anonymous said...

I too love my vistas. Some mornings I shut the little ones out of my room and my oldest two are helpful enough to take care of them--which can give me and extra 30-60 minutes of sleep. So needed! And the locked pantry? Nice move. Can I see a picture of the key around your neck? That's just something I've got to witness! I miss you,

JenLin

~ One Girl ~ said...

I may have to borrow the key around the neck idea. Do you mind??? It's brilliant!

Paige said...

I love the locked pantry Julie - way to go. I may have to try that. Maybe my new diet will be to put the key aroung John's neck to keep me out! Have a wonderful summer!

Anne Marie said...

Hope you're having a great summer. Missing you in the blogging world.

Anne Marie said...

So glad you gave your input on Twilight! I am with you. I think Jacob is going to end up happy and imprint on someone (not Bella). You are definitely the Stephenie Meyer guru. Can't wait for Breaking Dawn! It's going to be great fun to "chat" about it.